United Parcel Service is the biggest package delivery company in the world. The company is also into providing supply chain management solutions. James E. Casey founded the company on August 28, 1907, with its headquarter located in Sandy Springs, Georgia, United States. The extent of the size of the company and its customers can be determined by the fact that it delivers more than 15 million packages to nearly 8 million customers in as many as 220 countries and territories each day like UPS tracking Canada and UPS tracking USA. The company is also identified as “Brown” since the color of the delivery trucks, and the uniform of the delivery staff is brown. The vast services that UPS provides are Courier express services, Freight forwarding services, and logistics services.
As the customer mails his/her package through UPS, the company processes the shipment through several levels and stages. To know anything related to the shipment, the customer can go for UPS Tracking service to help themselves. Are you aware of this service? Don’t worry if you are not. Because this article will take you through everything related to the UPS and how does it work.
- 1 What is UPS Tracking?
- 2 How to Track a UPS package?
- 2.1 1. Tracking by Tracking Numbers:
- 2.2 2. Tracking by Reference:
- 2.3 3. Tracking by UPS InfoNotice:
- 2.4 4. Track Package by Email:
- 2.5 5. Tracking by UPS Mobile:
- 2.6 6. Tracking by SMS:
- 2.7 7. Track Package by UPS Enhanced Tracking:
- 2.8 8. Track by UPS Express Critical Shipment Tracking:
- 2.9 9. Track with Quantum View:
- 2.10 10. Track by UPS Signature Tracking:
- 2.11 11. Tracking package with UPS Internet Shipping:
- 2.12 12. Track Package with “Follow My Delivery” Service:
- 2.13 13. Tracking via RSS:
- 3 What is UPS Ground Tracking?
- 4 What is UPS Mail Innovations Tracking?
- 5 What is UPS Surepost Tracking?
What is UPS Tracking?
UPS Tracking is a method using which the customers can get aware of the updated status of their package. The UPS tracking tells you where your package is and which date and time can you expect the delivery of the shipment. UPS includes this service automatically with almost all the packages. Moreover, you will be happy to know that you do not need to pay anything for using this service. All you have to pay is for the postage and not for this tracking service. With this facility, the customers can find out everything about the process and the current information about their shipment delivery. To know how this facility works and how to get the updated status of your shipment, read what is written below.
The UPS scans your package many times, starting with the time when the customer places the order. UPS begins scanning right from its acceptance to the final delivery of the package, likewise, at almost all the points and stages. UPS allocates a tracking number to every shipment. UPS scans this number at various stages. This is how the customers get the actual update of their package or mail with their tracking number. There are different methods to track your UPS package. These methods are discussed below one by one.
How to Track a UPS package?
As we told you, there are many methods to track your Package. Following are some of the ways to track your order:
1. Tracking by Tracking Numbers:
UPS allocates you a tracking number with your package, so using that number you can easily track your package. This tracking number can help you with:
- Getting the updated status of the package
- Confirmation of the delivery of the package
- Accessing the delivery change options
To track your UPS package, follow the steps written-below:
- Step 1: Go to the main site of UPS which is www.ups.com
- Step 2: Choose your location and press enter
- Step 3: Click “Track Shipments” which is mentioned under “Tracking” category
- Step 4: Enter the Tracking Number into the blank space. The filed will accept maximum 25-digit tracking numbers.
- Step 5: Click on “Track” button.
There are also some Terms and Conditions on the page which you can go through before clicking the Track button. You do not require to register for My UPS account for tracking your shipment. Though, if you create your UPS account, then you will get access to the tracking status details like tracking history. You will also be able to take actions on the items you send. The UPS Tracking order and My UPS login also allow you the following things- to hold a package or reschedule your package delivery, controlling time for the signature required shipments, get the latest updates of the status of the package, the delay, and delivery of the package through e-mails.
2. Tracking by Reference:
This is another method to track UPS shipments. After you create your shipment, you can allocate a shipment reference. This shipment reference will consist of 35 characters of letters or numbers. It can be of any combination. This reference enables you to track the package in a niche of time. Also, with the reference, you can manage your filling or billing systems.
To track the package by reference, follow these steps:
- Step 1: Go to the main site of UPS which is www.ups.com
- Step 2: Choose your location and press enter.
- Step 3: – Click on “Track Shipments” which you will see under Tracking category
- Step 4: – Choose your Shipment Type.
If you wish to track only a single shipment, then choose Package option. If you want to track bulk shipments, then choose Freight. In the case of none of above, choose Mail Innovations.
- Step 5: Enter your Shipment Reference.
- Step 6: – Choose the Shipment Date Range.
The next spaces are not mandatory. You can either fill them or leave them just like that.
- Step 7: – Click the “Track” button.
This is how you can easily track your UPS shipment by reference.
3. Tracking by UPS InfoNotice:
If UPS has not delivered your package, then UPS sends the InfoNotice. This notice gives you information that when UPS is going to make the next delivery attempt. The notice also wishes to know if the recipient should be present to accept the delivery and provide signature confirmation or not. Sometimes, UPS delivers the package to your local UPS Access Location. The customer can collect their package from that location.
Using the UPS InfoNotice Number, the customer can edit his delivery address, reschedule the date of delivery, hold the package for pickup, do International tracking, and send the shipment back to the sender.
Following are the steps to track the UPS shipment through this method:
- Step 1: Go to the main site of UPS which is www.ups.com
- Step 2: – Select your location and press enter.
- Step 3: Click “Track Shipments” which is mentioned in the Tracking category
- Step 4: Enter the InforNotice Number.
- Step 5: Click on “Track” option.
This is the method to track UPS package through InforNotice Number.
4. Track Package by Email:
You can track UPS shipment through this method for a single shipment or a bulk of up to 25 shipments. All you need to do is to send an email writing the tracking number or numbers. UPS will reply to your email providing you the status of your shipment. The email address where you need to send the mail is email@example.com. To track one shipment, write the tracking number on the subject of the email. You can also write the same in the body of the email also. To track multiple shipments, write all the tracking numbers in the email body, you don’t need to write it as the subject name. UPS will then provide you the status of your shipment(s). But, you cannot use this method for UPS freight tracking.
5. Tracking by UPS Mobile:
You can track a UPS shipment with UPS Mobile. UPS Mobile is a mobile application using which you can track your shipments from anywhere at any time you want. It works both for Android and iOS users. Android users need to download this app from Google Play Store, while iOS users can download this app from the App Store. Not only tracking, but the customers can do several things with UPS Mobile like find out shipping rates, find the nearest UPS location, ups store tracking, etc. The links for downloading this app are:
6. Tracking by SMS:
UPS permits the United Parcel Service tracking via text messages or SMS, which is known as UPS SMS Tracking. To opt for SMS Tracking service, follow these steps:
- Go to the main site of UPS.
- Click on “Tracking” Category.
- On the left, you will find an option, “Track by Number.”
- Enter your tracking number
- Press “Track” button.
- The page will show you the tracking details.
- Choose “Request Status Updates” to start receiving the notifications.
- Choose the type of notification (Choose “SMS Text”)
- Click “Add New Number”
- Enter your mobile number.
- Select the Terms & Conditions box.
- Click “Submit”
- Confirm the request from your mobile.
Following this, you will start getting the updates of your mail item. If you want to know the status of your shipment, send SMS to UPS writing the TRACKING NUMBER and the KEYWORD. Then, UPS will send you the current update on your shipment.
7. Track Package by UPS Enhanced Tracking:
Using My UPS, one can track the shipments easily. It offers a better view of the updated shipping status to the user. Some advantages of using this method of UPS parcel tracking are:
- This method provides tracking information in CSV format or comma separated file via email.
- The user can import maximum 100 tracking numbers in one go and can track all of them.
- No need to punch in tracking numbers every time as it can store 50 tracking numbers.
- The user can get status update notifications which enable the user to get a notification about any delay, updated status, and the delivery.
The process of registering with My UPS is as follows:
- Firstly, CLICK HERE.
- Fill the given fields
- Go through the UPS Technology Agreement
- Select the Box to agree
- Click “Next.”
- Fill the complete Profile Address.
You will get a confirmation page informing the user that the process of registration is done.
8. Track by UPS Express Critical Shipment Tracking:
UPS Express Critical provides U.S customers the same day delivery service and the customers of more than 120 countries including the U.K. It is the best if the customer wants the delivery of his urgent shipments at the earliest. This gives you real-time status of things like any delay, delivery, route change, etc. UPS provides this status in the format like phone, email, Fax or PDA.
9. Track with Quantum View:
This service of UPS mail tracking is a portfolio of visibility. It has Quantum View Manage, Quantum View Notify, and Quantum View Data. It enables a person to manage the shipping information in a best possible way and making the custom tracking report. This facility provides the users a proactive updated status information.
10. Track by UPS Signature Tracking:
It is a web tracking method. It is also the safest service that offers the information for delivery and other tracking updates. It also helps to develop a streamlined customer service and billing functionalities. With it, you get the Proof of Delivery with the following information:
- Full Name
- Delivery Address
- Image of Signature
You need to register with My UPS account and validate for Signature tracking to have UPS tracking details.
11. Tracking package with UPS Internet Shipping:
There are many tracking functionalities that UPS provide for Internet Shipping. This way you can keep a check on the items you send. You can access the tracking data for max 90 days after sending the shipment. For UPS tracking information with UPS internet shipping:
- Log in to My UPS account
- Choose the Shipping tab
- Choose View History
Track max. 25 shipments in one go. One can also request for UPS Delivery Intercept.
12. Track Package with “Follow My Delivery” Service:
To avail UPS Follow My Delivery service, you must register in UPS My Choice. Using this service, a customer can do UPS cargo tracking on a live map. UPS Worldwide Express and UPS Air customers can use this service. It allows the customer to view all the necessary details. In fact, it also includes the driver’s lunch recess in it. The live map updates in every 2-3 minutes.
Since the live map allows the customers to see their packages live, there is the almost negligible risk of theft or the loss of the package. The technology has reached a level where it has made our lives easier and simpler. One such example is UPS Follow My Delivery service which shows us how GPS has made things convenient for both the customers and the organizations. With this technology, you get great visibility and information of UPS delivery tracking without incurring any cost. For the customer who has a habit of checking the status of their package repeatedly, this is a helpful service to them.
Some people say, “To track my UPS order, I cannot see the live map.” For those customers, the answer is that it is not that something is wrong with the map or the portal, but it is because the map generates when the UPS driver starts his journey to deliver the packages of the customers. When the driver delivers the package to you, the map will not be available for you. The users of premium services can use the Follow My Delivery. UPS is planning to expand this service to other customers as well. You must register in My Choice to avail the Follow My Delivery service. To stop the tracking alerts, go to My Choice account, click “Settings,” then click on “Alerts,” and finally click on “Edit” to make the changes. You can deselect the “Day of Delivery” alert from there. Then, you will not get any Follow My Delivery message.
13. Tracking via RSS:
You can also track UPS parcel using the RSS feed. You can use the personalized homepage or RSS Reader to get the status or location of your package. RSS enables you to get the tracking info of packages delivered by United States Postal Service (USPS), United Parcel Service (UPS) or Federal Express. To track the status of your UPS package via RSS, follow these steps:
- Step 1: Ready the UPS postal tracking number of the package.
- Step 2: Go to the personalized homepage or open RSS reader.
- Step 3: c- Append the My UPS tracking number to the URL given below. This way you can make the tracking URL for the carrier:
- FedEx Ground: http://www.shaftek.org/code/track2rss/track2rss.pl?type=fedex_ground&tracking_number=
- FedEx Air: http://www.shaftek.org/code/track2rss/track2rss.pl? type=fedex_air&tracking_number=
- United States Postal Service (USPS): http://www.shaftek.org/code/track2rss/track2rss.pl? type=usps&tracking_number=
- United Parcel Service (UPS): http://www.shaftek.org/code/track2rss/track2rss.pl?type=ups&tracking_number=
- Step 4: Subscribe to any RSS reader of your choice.
- Step 5: Copy the URL and Paste into RSS reader.
- Step 6: – Start tracking your package.
Now, let’s talk about the shipment types, and tracking ways of these shipments along with some important information.
What is UPS Ground Tracking?
This is a prevalent service of UPS. It is reasonable, in fact, it’s price is lower than other services of United Parcel Service. All you can expect from UPS ground for your residential and commercial shipments is a date-scheduled, certain, and affordable delivery. It is two or three times lesser costly than the services of Next Day Air and 2nd Day Air. Though it might not be cheaper than its competitors like FedEx, USPS, and DHL. UPS ground is a standard shipping service with tracking facility, and it takes just 1 to 5 working days for the package delivery.
UPS ground offers other helpful features too such as valuable services or options. To track a UPS Ground Shipment, you can go for any method of tracking service like email, reference, SMS, mobile app, etc. Tracking a Ground shipment is called UPS Ground tracking.
What is UPS Mail Innovations Tracking?
Tracking a UPS mail Innovation shipment is known as UPS Mail Innovation tracking. UPS Mail Innovations, which is also called as UPS-MI, is a JV between USPS and UPS. UPS picks the packages at the fulfillment center, and the United States Postal Service (USPS) delivers the packages after the worker’s process and sort the packages. USPS delivers the same to the shipping address or P.O. Box of the customer.
If you want to track the UPS Mail Innovations, follow these steps:
- Step 1: – Go to the tracking page.
- Step 2: – Enter the tracking number. It allows you to enter max 25 tracking numbers.
- Step 3: – Click the “Track” option.
- Step 4: – You will see the current update on the package.
Other things to know are:
- The orders are not processed or shipped on weekends.
- It may take more time to process some packages.
- If the UPS-MI shipment is not delivered to you on time, then you must contact them.
- Do add your order number and items which you have not got yet.
What is UPS Surepost Tracking?
Just like the above one, tracking a UPS Surepost shipment is called UPS Surepost tracking. It’s a residential, affordable, ground service. It is a unique amalgamation of dependability and constancy of UPS Ground network and delivery which is done by USPS to the PO box of the customer. This Surepost service is more economical than the Ground delivery service. But this service may take a little longer time to deliver your package.
For tracking your Surepost courier or package, use your tracking number. If your Tracking number is lost, you can contact UPS customer service by calling 800-742-5877. You can also email the company.
The customers can also upgrade their Surepost packages to Ground packages if they have UPS My Choice account. But, you will have to bear an extra fee. After the upgrade, the customers can use features like reschedule and redirect the item to a different address, etc. Also, if you upgrade, you may expect your item to arrive one day before as compared to the normal delivery time.
If you want to track a UPS Surepost package, do the following:
- Go to the official site.
- Write down the tracking number or shipping reference number into the tracking form
- Follow the above steps
- Get the tracking information for your item.
You can also get UPS tracking info on your package through SMS or email. You can email the entire list of the tracking numbers (max 25) and get the status of each package.
These were the different tracking service methods to track a UPS package. You can select any method which you have liked the most. You must have the tracking number of the package with you to go on to the method which will enable you to track the package.