The US Postal Service believes in the philosophy that the customer is always right. Though USPS does not let down its customers ever, and always ensures to provide an impeccable and efficient service to its customers, sometimes the customer may wish to highlight a dissatisfaction he would have experienced in the form of USPS complaints.
For the same purpose, it is important for all the USPS customers to know how to raise a complaint with USPS using different methods. Filing a complaint with USPS is quite easy. Let us get to know about the same in detail.
File a Complaint with the U.S. Postal Service:
To file a complaint with the United States Postal Service, to know more about any information, to give USPS some recommendation from your side, or to compliment USPS, you can tell them one of these through many different methods. These methods are explained below:
- By making a phone call: You can call the number: 1-800-ASK-USPS or 1-800-275-8777 or TTY: 1-800-877-8339 to file a USPS complaint. It is the post office complaint number where you can directly speak to the customer care executive and raise your complaint.
- USPS website’s Email US form: The first method is to use the Email US form which you can get on the USPS website. You can choose an inquiry type which will help you file a complaint or ask any query if you want. On the same website, the customers can also raise a claim or ask for a refund for the shipping.
- By writing the complaint letter: You can also write a complaint letter to the Consumer Advocate office of the United States Postal Service. The address at which you need to post your letter is given below.
- By visiting the post office: Under this method, the customer will have to go to the post office himself and speak to the station manager or the postmaster at the local post office. One can file his/her complaint with him. Use the USPS Locator Tool to find the nearest post office. The contact number will also be seen along with the location of the post office. Use this locator to register your complaint.
You need to post your post office complaints or other complaints in a letter to the following address:
United States Postal Service
Office of the Consumer Advocate
475 L’Enfant Plaza, SW
Washington, D.C. 20260-2200
File Complaint about Theft, Fraud, Waste, or Abuse Committed by the USPS or its Employee:
If you observe an instance of the theft, fraud, waste, or abuse which is found to have been committed by the USPS or the staff of the USPS, then you can file a complaint against USPS employee with the Inspector General (OIG) at the USPS Office. The method to file a USPS complaint with OIG is mentioned below:
- You can file a complaint online using USPS complaint form.
- You can find more information about contacting the OIG here.
- You can call the number 1-888-USPS-OIG or 1-888-877-7644. It is the USPS customer service complaint number where you can register your complaint
File Complaint about Mail Fraud or Abuse Committed by a Person or Company:
In the case of mail fraud or abuse which is found to have been committed by a person or a company, you can seek the help of the U.S. Postal Inspection Service. The U.S. Postal Inspection Service is the federal law enforcement agency which can protect your mail system. It will take care of your USPS fraud report. You can get in touch with them to raise the complaint about the following:
- Mail theft: For an instance of mail theft, if you want to know how to complain about mail delivery, you need to fill the email form. To elucidate the issue, you can get the form here. Under the Inquiry Type, you need to choose the problem you are facing. Under the Customer Service header, go to Support, and then Mail Theft. Under the section of the additional Information, you need to mention why your complaint is related to mail theft.
If you have the tracking number, then choose Yes and enter the same into the blank field, and if you do not have the tracking number, then select No. Then, complete the next required steps.
- Major policy change: In case the customer wishes to give feedback on the major policy change, then they can get in touch with the Postal Regulatory Commission (PRC) by filling the online contact form. Here you can also get to know about consumer affairs.
- Mail fraud: In the case of a Mail fraud, you can raise the mail fraud complaint online and get USPS complaint number. To do so, you can click here for the form.
- Identity theft – You can also file a complaint related to the U.S. Mail identity theft. You can go online to fill the identity theft complaint form.
After registering your complaint, you can take a sigh of relief as the USPS inspector general and the U.S. Postal Inspection Service will handle your complaint well.
Filing the Online Complaint using USPS Complaint Form:
To submit the online complaint by using the USPS OIG website or the USPS compliant form your complaint should be about one of these:
- Whistleblower reprisal
- Theft of items from the mail by Postal employees or contractors
- Contract Fraud
- Embezzlements and financial crimes
- Employee Misconduct
- Internal affairs and executive investigations
- Injury compensation fraud
- Computer Crimes
If your complaint does not relate to one of these, then you can contact the USPS customer service. But, if your complaint is regarding one of these, then these are the next steps to follow if you wish to know how to file a complaint with USPS:
- Go to the complaint form page.
- Fill the required fields.
- Choose who you are
- Select Yes or No when asked, “Do you wish to remain anonymous.”
- In the case, you go for Yes, then you are not required to fill any personal information.
- If you select No, then you have to fill the information like your name, address, contact number, city, state, etc.
- Then if you are willing to be interviewed, select Yes else select No.
- Fill the Captcha.
- Now, click on the Preview and at last you can confirm the complaint.
To know about your post office complaint status, or for any other details or any issues related to almost anything, the users can contact USPS by CLICKING HERE.