We all trust the services provided by USPS, don’t we? This is because USPS has always achieved excellence in its job. The staff of USPS consistently work round the clock to deliver the mails and packages of the customers to the recipients timely and safely.
But we also cannot ignore the fact that sometimes mishaps do happen, after all, we are humans. USPS is no exception. This is why the company has a claim policy as well where the customers can file a domestic or international USPS claim in case they find that their parcel or letter is damaged or missing. Let us get updated on the procedure of the same.
How to File a Claim with USPS:
You can file your claim online or offline as well. The benefit of the filing the claim online is that the online claims process will permit you to electronically upload the files in .pdf and .jpg format which is needed as supporting documentation for raising the claim. You can file a domestic and international claim as well. The process to file the claim is given below. Let’s start:
Filing Domestic Claim:
Filing USPS Domestic Claim Online:- Filing a domestic claim is an easy process which can be done in a few minutes online. Also note that, if a USPS user has lost it’s insured, registered, or COD parcel, and he has received the claim, then the US Postal Service also reimburses the sender the amount he had paid as the postage.
File a claim Against USPS for insured:
If you have lost your domestic shipment, or your domestic shipment is damaged, this is the process to file the domestic claim:
- If your damaged or lost parcel comes under the USPS insurance and is mentioned as a part of the “Insurance Availability” section, then go to the link given below.
One thing you can note here is that if for any reason you cannot submit the form instantly, then you have an option to save the entered information for up to 3 days after which, the data you enter in the form will be lost.
- The next step is to log-in to the “Online Claims” site as you open the USPS.com.
- Enter your username and password. If you do not have the username, you can register for the same at the official site of the USPS.
- Now, you need to punch in the tracking number of your package/mail along with the shipping date.
- Enter the information like address and other claim details.
- Now, you will have to mention the reason for filing the USPS claim for lost or damaged package.
- You need to submit the proof of value. You will have to upload the files in .pdf and .jpg format as attachments. The proof of value can be your receipt of purchase.
- The form may also ask you to enter the insurance fees.
- Upload the evidence of insurance such as the mailing receipt. You will have to use the .pdf or .jpg file attachment.
- Don’t forget to review your USPS insurance claim information.
- Now you can submit the USPS claim form.
- Make sure to keep the evidence of insurance till you receive your claim amount.
If you still have doubts, please get in touch with the Internet Customer Care Center at 800-344-7779. They will provide you the technical assistance with the online Web-based system.
Filing USPS Domestic Claim Offline (via Mail): If you cannot file a claim online, then you can file a claim by mail. All you need to do is:
- Call 800-ASK-USPS (800-275-8777)
- Request the US Postal Service to send you the domestic claim form to you by mail.
- As you get the form on your mail, fill it the way we have told you above.
- Mail it to the address mentioned on the form
- Don’t forget to send the required documents as well like a proof of damage, proof of value, evidence of insurance, and proof of purchase.
Filing International Claim:
For the international shipping issues, the claim can only be filed for:
Filing USPS International Claim Online:- The first method to file post office insurance claim for international mail is an online method. The process is:
- Go to the link: https://www.usps.com/help/claims.htm
- Choose the tab “International Shipments”.
- Click on “Create an Inquiry” option.
- Log in to USPS account. If you are a new user, you can sign up for a new account.
- Fill the asked fields
- Submit the Inquiry.
Filing USPS International Claim Offline:- If you want to inquire about the missing or damaged international shipment, you can call the International Research Group at the number 800-222-1811. The inquiry will be made upon your request. If the inquiry says that your package is lost, then the Postal Service will send a claim packet to you. The packet will contain the information on the process of filing the claim. The customers can also visit the local post office and ask for the PS Form 2855.
In the case you receive a damaged international package, then you can file a claim. You have to make sure that you file the claim within the 60 days from the date of mailing. Do submit the content of the package, its container, the packaging, etc. to the local Post Office.
When Can I File a Claim?
Please make sure that in case of the damaged or lost package, you must file a claim, not after the prescribed days from the date of mailing. Hence, it is always better to file the immediate claim. To clarify further, the claim timings for different services (Domestic) are:
- Registered Mail and Registered COD with postal insurance packages, etc. claim timings are 15 to 60 Days.
- The Priority Mail Express items have a claim timing of 7 to 60 Days.
- In the case of an Insured mail or Priority Mail, the claim timing is 15 to 60 Days.
- For COD or Cash on delivery items, the claim timing is 15 to 60 Days.
- In the case of APO/FPO/DPO, the timing for Priority Mail Express is 21 to 180 days. The timing for the first-Class, Space Available, or Parcel Airlift is 45 days to 1 year. In the case of a surface Mail, the timing is 75 days to 1 year
USPS missing or damaged package claim timings for different services (International):
- Registered Mail items –7 days to 6 months
- Global Express Guaranteed –3 to 30 days
- Priority Mail International items with Money Back Guarantee –3 to 30 days
- Priority Mail Express International items –3 to 90 days
- Priority Mail International –7 days to 6 months
You can see the time-limit in the table below:
Post Office Claim Form:
If someone is unable to file a claim online, then he/she can submit it offline by filling a form. Anyone can call 1-800-ASK-USPS (1-800-275-8777) to have a Domestic Claim Form mailed to them.
USPS Claim Number:
As you file the claim, the USPS will provide you the claim number. You can use this claim number to get the updated status of the claim. Get in touch with the Accounting Help Desk at 866-974-2733 and give them your claim number to get the status of your claim. As said above, you can also call 1-800-ASK-USPS (1-800-275-8777) to have a Domestic Claim Form mailed to you. The payments for these claims will be paid to the sender, whichever country he belongs. The sender can also sign a waiver of rights to payment.